Sunday, December 7, 2014

I Love Butterflies!

Butterfly Cane not yet reduced or trimmed
The one thing that I absolutely love are butterflies. They are a great feminine alternative to flowers, with a more modern feel. 

Butterfly canes have been grabbing my attention ever since I started working with polymer clay. So beautiful, yet sooo intimidating. I had one little trial with an earlier project. See the butterfly earrings that resulted from it. Starting with this simple little purple butterfly got me hooked!

But, as with any addiction, I started to crave more. More butterflies, more colors, and more details! So, with a whole Sunday afternoon just waiting to be filled with my newest craft endeavor, I decided to jump in!

To start, I did a quick google search for butterfly images. There were so many fantastic designs and vibrant colors to choose from! There really isn't much that you can't find on google.After a quick scroll up and down, I decided to give the good old monarch a try. Partially because that's the butterfly that I've seen most often in my garden and partially because I really have been wanting to put my orange clay to use (in a non-Halloween kinda way). 

I located an image that had that wings pretty clearly defined. Then I made a skinner blend of bright orange and gold and accordion folded it. I shaped the folded clay into a block and wrapped it in black clay Then I sliced off sections and began to form the wings, copying the shapes from the image. Next came the white dots, which are literally just white tubes of clay wrapped in black. These pieces created one wing. I then packed it in white and reduced it. Then I sliced the cane in half, so that I had two identical wings. I formed the body and antennae in the middle and packed the whole design well with white clay.

I'm excited to see what comes from this cane! You can be sure, I'll be publishing it here, so keep checking back. Better yet, follow me on Bloglovin or by email! >>

No comments:

Post a Comment